|Blood pressure monitor.|
A blood pressure monitor like this contains at least a cubic inch of mercury, far more than the typical thermometer. If spilled, that would be enough mercury to contaminate quite a lot of air or water. For that reason, such monitors should be treated carefully and ideally should be turned in to hazardous waste collection point in favor of an electronic model that uses no mercury.
This one came from an Amish auction: Understandably they prefer this type to the electronic type, but that doesn't make it any less toxic. Click the source link for a story about the auction.
Source: Herschberger Welding Auction
Contributor: Theodore Gray
Acquired: 14 September, 2003
Text Updated: 11 March, 2007
Sample Group: Medical