Mercury is used to this very day to make dental amalgams, tooth fillings made with a mixture of mercury and zinc. It's claimed that the mercury stays permanently locked in the filling and poses no risk, but do you really believe that? Last time I had fillings I asked them to use the alternative polymer-ceramic material. I have another sample of dental mercury which came with the necessary zinc pellets and mixing apparatus, but this bottle is much more attractive than the plastic eye dropper that came with that other one.
Reader Andrzej Kasperowicz pointed out the following fascinating videos, which show mercury vapor wafting up from a disturbed amalgam filling:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9ylnQ-T7oiAKind of scary to see it so vividly. He also pointed out this absolutely fascinating study, which seems to demonstrate that cell phone or MRI radiation shortly after dental work with amalgam can accelerate the release of mercury. This is not as crazy as it might sound since the amalgam is conductive and could very well respond to radio and microwave radiation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18819554What I want to know is where did they find "fourteen female healthy University students who had not used mobile phones before the study"? Are there really that many university students in the country who have never used a cell phone? Seems unlikely. And why did they all need to be female?
Source: Darrell Hamilton, MD
Contributor: Theodore Gray
Acquired: 16 March, 2007
Text Updated: 18 January, 2009
Sample Group: Medical